Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Approach to Model Making

Before I go much further with my postings, I want to tell you a little bit about my approach to machining and projects such as the 1/3 CASE. When I started my apprenticeship under my father’s watchful eyes, he encouraged me to watch and listen to the other model makers in the shop. He pointed out that no two-model makers would approach or do a task in the same manner. They may achieve the same end goal, but take different paths to get there. Dad said,” so watch, listen and develop your own style, something that works for you”. What I present may not be your way or the best way in the world to accomplish the task, but what I do is based on what I have learned, the resources I have at hand and what I am comfortable with  So as this blog develops, I hope you can learn a little bit from me as I have learned from so many

I approach scale model engineering in the same manner. I look at others models and try to apply those details that I like to my models. I am not a purist in any sense of the word in my model making. I work towards functionality and aesthetics. I build for my pleasure as an artist paints for himself or herself.  The flip side of the coin, I am always open to constructive criticism. One of my mottos: a closed mind will never learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment